Long neglected by Western Ethnomusicologists who often categorised it as Europeanized or hybrid
15century - the first guitars probably came from Portugal or North Africa and were brought to Freetown by Sailors
1950s Most Guitars were purchased in local shops and were made in Europe.
- Used extensively to bring the chords to a certain pitch, and even in modern day highlife bands electric guitarist use capos.
- Normally the capos were not commercially bought but were carved from a piece of wood and secured by elastic
- Standard E,A,D,G,B.E employed for most songs the favoured key of G is used for a large number of tunes
- Full C tuning used where the low E string is tuned one step higher to F. The F Chord can then be played with the sixth string open, the other chords are played using the thumb on the bass string
- Favoured Alternative tunings: D G D G B D, C E G C E G
The Guitar is played using the thumb and index finger of the right hand
Electric Guitar. Solid body electric Fender Stratocaster.
- Played in a similar manner to acoustic.
- Restring - Esp D string